Is your keypad door lock not working? Follow these steps to fix it.
Generally, door locks are not the same in Korea as they are in the West.
Especially compared to the UK.
As you’re well aware, Korean apartments primarily use keypads for their door locks and not the traditional key.
One good thing about using a keypad is that you never have to worry about losing your keys.
It’s absolutely brilliant until your keypad stops working.
So if you’re reading this, I can imagine that your keypad door lock is not working and you’re wondering what to do.
Don’t worry, we have a step by step process for you to follow so you can fix it.
How Do I Change A Door Battery?
You battery may have ran out.
Because the keypad is electric; it needs batteries!
So if your keypad lights up and then goes off, or it doesn’t show anything at all, then most likely your batteries have run out, and you need to replace them.
- Not all keypads are the same, so you might need different batteries compared to the ones in the picture.
- I use double AA batteries but you may use AAA batteries.
- Here I have listed the batteries you might need. You can show the nearest mart employee this picture, or you can find them yourself.
I find Daiso the cheapest for buying batteries.
When you have the batteries just simply change all of them and put the lid back on.
Your door should then activate.
What to do if you’re locked out of your Korean Apartment.
- If you can see two oblong metal tabs and a 9V sign on the door, then you’re in luck.
- You can buy a 9V square battery and press against it.
- Make sure the + sign is on the left and the – is on the right.
- Keep it on until for about 30 seconds.
- After you’ve finished, your keypad light will turn on and you will be able to input your password.
- After you’ve done this, make sure you change your batteries.
You can call your landlord or security guard.
They will have the master key and will be able to open the door for you.
Another option is to call a locksmith and they will come out to fix the door for you. If you need help you could ask a Korean friend, or if you live in Seoul you can call the Seoul Call Center at 02-120 and press 9 for foreign language services.
How do you change the code on a Korean door lock?
- Open the cover on the inside of your battery cover.
- Press the small black button under your batteries that says 등록. Sometimes it might be a tiny black hole that you need to press with a pin.
- It should make a high pitch noise for a couple of seconds.
- Input a number between 4-12 numbers long and hit the * key. On some keypads, it may be the # key.
- Wait a couple of seconds until you should hear a high pitched sound, which confirms your new password.
If you find yourself in any other emergencies, take a look at our emergency number guide.
It could save you a lot of time.